Knafeh or Chnafa for those who absolutely love it or want to attempt making it. It doesn’t take much effort like baklava which I will show later as well! Definitely good for those Ramadan nights or for having guest over. Chnafa can be made with cheese or cream and can be colored to red or using different dough depending on where you are from but I found this recipe to be amazing and everyone loves it!
Preheat the oven for 275 Degrees/140 Celsius
- 4 cups of sugar
- 3 cups of water
- Lemon juice
- 2 tbs orange blossom water
- 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 3 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 or 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup of corn starch
- 2 boxes of kataifi dough
- 2 cups unsalted butter
For the Syrup
- Add 3 cups of water, then add 4 cups of sugar, lemon juice and orange blossom water
- Make this syrup 15 minutes before the knafeh is done
- Once cool you can taste if it needs more or less sugar.
- Whisk together milk, cream, sugar and cornstarch
- Bring to a full boil, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens.
- If it doesn’t thicken don’t add more cornstarch it will thicken up eventually.
- Thaw out the dough if you took it out of the freezer and then once thawed cut them into big pieces
- Put the shredded dough on the 12×17 or any rectangular pan for baking and make sure to push it all the way down
- Put the cream Filling on top once it cooled down
- Then add the rest of the dough on top
- Put in the oven for 35 minutes and 45 minutes till crispy
- Right after it comes you can either pour the cool syrup or cut a slice and pour the syrup over that and serve with a cup of tea.
- You can also add crushed pistachios for decoration
I hope you enjoy this and many more recipes and blog posts will come later on.
With Love Fatima 🌿